The Roadmap to Universal Child Care in Ontario
Like the Alberta, B.C., Saskatchewan and Child Care Now Roadmaps, the Ontario roadmap is also a presentation of policy ideas to put into effect a successful early learning and child care strategy in Ontario.
The Ontario Roadmap is co-sponsored and co-authored by the Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care and the Association of Early Childhood Educators of Ontario.
The Ontario Roadmap focuses on the Three Big Ideas
- Affordable fees for families
- Decent work and pay for educators
- Enough quality public and non-profit spaces for all.
It goes on to develop complementary strategies:
- Affordability Strategy
- Workforce Strategy
- Expansion Strategy
The overall perspective is based on the ten elements guiding pan-Canadian system-building:
- Public management of ELCC provision
- Direct and sufficient public funding of ELCC operational budgets
- Public funding with conditions
- Publicly funded and managed expansion
- Expansion plans and strategies
- No expansion of for-profit ELCC
- Workforce strategies
- Data and research
- Public accountability
- Democratic participation.
The Roadmap to Universal Child Care in Ontario can be downloaded from the OCBCC website.